To all Keio students:
October 21, 2021
Overseas Travel for Keio Students Planning to Study Abroad, etc.
Keio University has expanded permission of overseas travel for study abroad to include Levels 2 and 3 Infectious Disease Risk in addition to Level 1, as designated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA), providing that the Keio student fulfills all necessary requirements and submits a formal application. Meanwhile, in light of vaccine efficacy and other measures that are keeping new infections under control, the restriction that overseas travel must be of a duration of 3 months or more has been lifted. Furthermore, those who fulfill the necessary conditions to participate in travel for international joint research and international conferences will be permitted to do so.
If separate instructions have been issued by your undergraduate faculty, graduate school, or by the organization that oversees the study abroad program, etc., please follow the application method and various conditions specified therein.
<Permissible Overseas Travel>
- Travel for study abroad
* Travel accompanying temporary leave of absence from university (language training, internship, etc.) will not be approved
- Travel accompanying participation in overseas programs sponsored by faculties / graduate schools, research institutes / centers, etc.
- Travel accompanying participation in international joint research or international conferences
<Main Conditions for Permitting Travel>
- The student and their guarantor strongly desire for the overseas travel to take place
- The student and their guarantor both understand the Danger Level and Infectious Disease Risk Level set by MOFA, and the risk of traveling to a country/region designated as Level 2 or higher; the student and their guarantor will bear sole responsibility for any eventuality arising from traveling overseas
- In principle, the student will have completed their vaccination for COVID-19 (coronavirus disease) before departing Japan or the country/region in which they are currently located
- The student is enrolled in insurance with coverage for COVID-19
- The student will comply with the instructions of Keio University and the host university, etc., in the event that the Japanese government issues a recommendation to return home after the student has already departed
- The student can travel because the destination country/region has no restrictions on entry from Japan or the country/region in which they currently reside, and the necessary visa for travel has been issued
- The student will confirm that they can meet the conditions for entering the destination country/region and is able to comply with any restrictions on conduct
- The student will confirm that the health system in the destination country/region is sufficiently well maintained and that they are eligible to receive medical treatment
- The student will confirm that measures against infections and a support system in the case of becoming infected are sufficiently in place at the host university
- The student will confirm the quarantine procedures that are required after returning to Japan and make the necessary preparations for compliance in advance
(The following is only for "International Study Abroad")
- The host university, etc., is accepting students from overseas for study abroad and provides classes in person, online, etc.